AVID at Grand Forks Public Schools
What is AVID?
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) is a school-wide system to develop successful leaders in their communities and society. AVID is an international program that has been around for more than 40 years. The program's mission is to close the opportunity gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
Teachers are excited to work with our AVID students as they prepare for their futures. AVID is a year-long elective class in grades 7-12.
AVID teaches students skills and behaviors needed for academic success, and students are taught success strategies and are supported through weekly tutorials that are facilitated by college students and college-experienced tutors.
AVID students are introduced to many career fields through guest speakers. Every month, a speaker introduces aspects of their career and the journey taken to get to this point. AVID students also visit colleges and universities to visualize their futures.
AVID elevates what we believe about teaching and learning through a structured framework that ensures academic rigor and equity so that all students graduate choice ready.
GFPS AVID Team
- TBD, AVID District Coordinator
- Katie Arthur, Grand Forks Central AVID Site Coordinator
- Brittney Biermaier, Wilder Elementary School AVID Site Coordinator
- Sarah Bry, Lewis & Clark Elementary School AVID Site Coordinator
- Ashley Vinje, Lake Agassiz Elementary School AVID Site Coordinator
- Lisa Vojacek, Valley Middle School AVID Site Coordinator