Eighth grade students are completing their final year in middle school and anticipating life in high school. The Grade 8 Educational/Career Planning Unit, a cornerstone of the Grand Forks consortium schools career curriculum, guides students through the process of deciding upon classes and activities that will make a meaningful contribution to their future goals.
During this twelve lesson unit, students:
- assess their personal interests and work values
- determine in which of the Career Clusters their interests and work values lie
- engage in discovering information about several different careers within their Careerr Cluster(s) via interview, printed resources, Career Fair presenters, and computer searches
- begin a tentative four year plan of high school courses
- update the honors, awards, activities, volunteer and paid work experiences in their career portfolios
- register for freshman courses
The Grade 8 Educational/CareerrPlanning Unit Student Booklet is created, produced, and taught by the Career and Character Education department personnel, local counselors, and teachers of a required course. Parents and students are encouraged to review the booklet together.
If you wish to view a current booklet, contact firstname.lastname@example.org Copies are available for a small fee.
The culmination of the Grade 8 unit is a career fair. Students attend three pre-chosen sessions in which volunteers from community businesses, industries, and organizations share insights and experiences about their occupations. The career fair supports the overall goal of the career guidance program, which is to assist students in exploring careers and in preparing for their future.