Allergy Information

  • Dear Families,

    Allergies in our community can be quite common. We also recognize that some allergies are more severe than others. We have children in our district that have severe life threatening allergies to peanuts, nuts and products that have peanut or nut traces in them. Exposure to these products can cause anaphylaxis, a reaction which is sometimes referred to as allergic shock. When anaphylaxis occurs, the allergic reaction is a severe reaction that can lead to death. 

    Even a small amount of nuts/peanut butter or peanut butter based products left on a door handle  have the potential to cause a severe life threatening reaction if touched by a child who is allergic to these products. The life threatening element of this allergy is of great concern in our schools. In order to assist and provide a safe environment for all children, Grand Forks Public Schools have established all elementary and middle school campuses to be Peanut & Tree Nut Restricted. 

    We all want what is best for our children and we at and strive to ensure all children are safe at school. When purchasing food or snack items for your child to bring to school:

    • Select an alternative to peanut butter in lunches coming to school
    • Do not send snacks or treats with peanut butter or nuts in them
    • If your child has peanut butter at home before coming to school, please make sure that his/her hands and face are washed with soapy water
    • Read labels on food items carefully, even traces of peanuts can cause an allergic reaction

    Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact the school office.