Social Work Program
School Social Workers in Grand Forks Public Schools are trained mental health professionals, with a degree in social work and are licensed by the state of North Dakota. They provide services related to a person's social, emotional, and life adjustment to school and/or society, as well as provide consultation to school staff regarding child welfare matters.
Students' school performance and academic success are impacted due to behavioral, emotional, and social problems that negatively affect their role as a student. School social workers help students through prevention, assessment, intervention, and support.
School social workers are the link between home, school, and community in providing direct, as well as indirect, services to students, families, and school staff to promote and support student's academic and social success.
Services for Students
- Provide services that foster social and emotional skills
- Provide crisis intervention
- Develop intervention strategies to increase academic success
- Assist the student with understanding and accepting themselves and others
Services for Families
- Collaborate with family to assess barriers affecting the student's education
- Address family stressors to enable the student to function more effectively as it relates to student education
- Assist families in accessing programs available to students
- Assist families in accessing and utilizing school and community resources
- Obtain and coordinate community resources to meet student's needs
- Assist school districts in receiving adequate support from social and mental health agencies
- Advocate for new and improved community/school service to meet the needs of students and families
Services to School Staff and District
- Develop and implement social and emotional programs to support the educational needs of students
- Provide consultation regarding school law and school policy
- Provide case management for students and families with complex needs
- Develop alternative programs for students who need additional support
- Crisis intervention and consultation regarding student safety
- Participate in special education assessment meetings as well as Individual Education Planning (IEP)
- Work with those problems in a student's living situation that affect the student's adjustment in school (home, school, community)
- Mobilize family, school, and community resources
- Assist in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies
- Participate in the Multi-Tiered Systems of Support process (MTSS)
St. Joseph’s Social Care and Food Pantry
St. Joseph’s Social Care and Food Pantry is available Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday weekly. Click on the title for more information.
Affordable Connectivity Program
The Affordable Connectivity Program is an Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program that helps connect families and households struggling to afford internet service. Click on the title for more information
Support Group for Family and Friends of Individuals with Substance Use Disorders
Community Support Groups are a virtual and face-to-face training for the friends and family members concerned about their loved ones who live with a substance use disorder. This program is based on the Community Reinforcement and Family Training (CRAFT) model.
Hope Community Care Center & Food Pantry
HOPE Community Care Center & Food Pantry's desire is to serve the needs of the Greater Grand Forks region in partnership with the Great Plains Food Bank and local businesses, churches and organizations. Click on the title above for more information.
Northlands Rescue Mission Community Meal Service
Lunch and dinner are served every day at the Mission. Meals are free and available for anyone in the community. Lunch is served daily at 12 p.m., and dinner is served daily at 5 p.m. Please ring the bell at Door 2 (under the green awning) to request a meal.
Northlands Rescue Mission Mobile Food Pantry
The Mobile Food Pantry brings food boxes to individuals and families in need. The pantry stops in Grand Forks once per month from 3-4:30 p.m. and supplies meat, produce, and dry goods.
Northlands Rescue Mission Food Boxes
The Mission offers free monthly food boxes for families and individuals in need. Boxes are provided on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Mission.
United Way Wheels for Work/Kidz Closet Program
United Way's purpose is to provide neighbors with opportunities to thrive. Click on the title to learn more about the Wheels for Work and Kidsz Closet programs.