Under the McKinney Vento Act, children in homeless situations have the right to:
- Immediate enrollment, even if they are missing records required for enrollment such as a birth certificate, proof of residence, previous school records or immunization records
- Attend the local school or the school of origin depending on what is in the child’s best interest (school of origin is the school the child attended when he/she was permanently housed or the school in which the child was last enrolled)
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, when possible.
- Have access to the same programs and services that are available to other students
- Free-Reduced Lunch Program
- Title I Services