April 23, 2019
GFPS Native American Parent Committee Meeting Minutes | Thursday, April 23, 2019
Present Chad Ward, Jody Thompson, Taunya Schleicher, Sloan Henry, Sonya Anderson, Harmony Bercier, Courtney Ceroll, Erica Gunville.
- The regular meeting of the GFPS Native American Parent Committee was called to order at 12:01 p.m.
Approval of Agenda
- The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.
Approval of Minutes
- The minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.
- Discussed 2019-2020 Grant
- Chad’s salary possibly increases by an estimated 3%
- GFPS will cover costs/pay increase results from the district-wide survey that's currently taking place. Will know results in June for coming 2019-2020 year.
- Update and change job description, as well as title.
- Change “Native American Parent Committee Meeting” to a “Public Hearing” to fulfill Indian Education Grant guidelines.
- Gather marketing ideas to promote the benefits of the program.
- Possible speaker for August break out sessions for teachers. Topics could be how to work, speak and interact with Native American children, as well as their families. The theme is student mental health”.
- Look into a Sponsor/Sponsors to help cover costs (food, prizes). MASH (YMCA) costs for Native American students attending Kelly and Discovery.
- Bob McWilliams, Chief Executive Director, could possibly offer some assistance/reduced rate as well.
- Would like a senior to speak to peers in High School and Middle School about the programs/funding available and how it’s helped them to achieve academically.
- Have access to see the results to Title I assessment needs for Native American families at the Spring and Fall meetings.
- Change Bylaws.
- Add a teacher and student.
- Change meeting time to evenings so more families can attend.
- Chad will receive a laptop installed with all adequate software to fulfill his duties. This will be supplied by GFPS.
Agenda for Next Meeting
- Meet the week of May 13 to finalize/sign off on 2019-2020 Grant (Due May 15).
- Graduation Party
- The meeting was adjourned at 2:00 p.m. by Sonya Anderson. The next general meeting will be at Mark Sanford Education Center from 12-2 p.m. Date TBA.