Kindergarten Health Checklist

  • Welcome to Kindergarten! We look forward to meeting your student and partnering with you to keep them as healthy as possible during the school year. A healthy student is one that will engage in learning and have a successful school experience.

    To help prepare your student for Kindergarten, as the school nurses, we have prepared the following checklist for you to review:

    • A physical exam (including vision and hearing screenings) and a dental exam by a healthcare provider are helpful and recommended.

    • North Dakota State Law, Chapter 33-06-05, requires students to be adequately immunized before entering school. Call the school if you aren’t sure if your student is up-to-date. The school nurse can review the shot record. The immunization requirements are available on the North Dakota Health and Human Services website (found by clicking here)The school exclusion date is October 1 for those students who are not up-to-date or haven’t submitted a record.

    • If your student has any special health concerns, including severe allergies, seizures, or diabetes, an individualized health care plan will need to be completed and signed by your student’s health care provider. This plan will inform all staff how to best care for your student’s health needs. This needs to be in place before your student begins school in the fall.

    • If your student needs to keep an Epinephrine and/or Benadryl at school, your student’s health care provider must complete a Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Emergency Care Plan. This form must be signed by the health care provider and the parent/guardian. The signed form and the medication(s) must be at school before your student begins school in the fall.

    • If your student has been diagnosed with asthma and may possibly need an inhaler or nebulizer treatment during the day, an Asthma Action Plan must also be completed and signed by you and your student’s healthcare provider.

    • If your student needs any medication given at school, a Medication Authorization Form must be filled out and signed. This is for all medications including inhalers, prescription medications, and over-the-counter medications. Please call the school if you have any questions.

    • If your student has a diagnosed food allergy and needs special meals, the Medical Statement to Request School Meal Modification form must be completed and signed by the student’s healthcare provider and returned to school.

    Please call your school office and ask to speak to the school nurse about any questions or concerns. Our school nurses are happy to visit with you about your student’s health.

    All forms are available by clicking on the hyperlinks above and online at Click on the “Students” tab at the top of the page, then click on “Medical Information and Forms.” The forms require updating before each new school year.