About J. Nelson Kelly Elementary School
J. Nelson Kelly Elementary School is located in the southeast corner of Grand Forks, N.D. With a student population over 450 students, it is one of the largest elementary schools in Grand Forks. Kelly Elementary has served the Grand Forks community since opening its doors in 1966. The school was named after J. Nelson Kelly, a superintendent who served from 1894-1919.
Kelly Elementary participates in Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports (PBIS) The purpose of the program is to:
- Provide a common approach to discipline,
- Establish school-wide expectations,
- Teach expectations for students,
- Encourage appropriate behavior,
- Discourage inappropriate behavior, and
- Collect and utilize data.
Kelly Elementary's three expected positive behaviors are:
- Be Respectful,
- Be Responsible, and
- Be Safe.
Mission: Engage, Educate, and Empower Every Learner Every Day.
Vision: J. Nelson Kelly School will be a safe place for our students to grow and learn. Our staff, students, parents, and community members will be collaborative partners in nurturing a positive learning environment. Our staff will consistently be modeling ethical and responsible behaviors. Student achievement will be based on assessments that drive instructional practices for all students. Our students will demonstrate enthusiasm and responsibility for lifelong learning. They will be taught how to be problem solvers, and ultimately how to make good decisions that will benefit themselves and others. Our students will continually be taught and encouraged to demonstrate respectful, responsible, and safe behaviors.
Kelly students will:
- Become lifelong learners,
- Become responsible and respectful citizens,
- Be given opportunities to demonstrate creativity,
- Be encouraged to respect individual differences that will lead to positive peer relationships,
- Be encouraged to develop a strong work ethic and a positive attitude, and
- Be taught how to make good decisions and solve problems that will benefit themselves and others.
Kelly staff will:
- Provide a safe and nurturing learning environment,
- Provide effective and efficient instructions for all students,
- Provide support to all staff members,
- Celebrate different learning styles,
- Encourage students to share, listen and learn from others,
- Integrate technology to prepare students for the demands of our changing world, and
- Partner with home and community to build productive and successful leaders.
Kelly community will:
- Continue to be active and collaborative partners in making decisions,
- Continue to be engaged in understanding student performance measures,
- Continue to build good working relationships with our staff, and
- Continue to commit to providing both physical and emotional support for all learners.
If you have any questions about our school, please contact our school office at 701-746-2265.
Mrs. Kelli Tannahill, principal
Mrs. LuAnn Schmidt, associate principal