History of South
South Junior High School opened in 1932 at a cost of $200,000. Several members of the community commented that the school was located “out in Thompson” due to its location on the southern edge of the city (1224 Walnut St.). The school was named due to its far south location. The school underwent construction in 1956 and nearly doubled in size. The building still stands at 1224 Walnut St., Grand Forks North Dakota.
During the flood of 1997, South Junior High was damaged. It was decided that a new school would be built on the south side of town on 47th Ave South. From August of 1997 to January of 1999, South students were relocated to Red River High School and Sharon Lutheran Church. Students and staff were allowed to move into the new building on January 21, 1999. Each wing of the school houses the three different grade levels. Even though South Middle School is the newest school, it has the most tradition that continues on strong into the years to come.
Once a Spartan, always a Spartan!